ABOUT TRAFFIC POLICE AJ&K
AZAD GOVERNMENT OF THE STATE OF JAMMU AND KASHMIR
NOTIFICATION No. TRANSPORT/1798/CS/73 DATED 24TH May, 1973
In exercise of the power conferred by sections 22, 43, 68, 69, 70, 74, 96, of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir Motor Vehicles Ordinance, 1971 the Azad Government of the State of Jammu and Kashmir is pleased to make the following rules, namely :-
THE AZAD JAMMU AND KASHMIR MOTOR VEHICLES RULES, 1973
CHAPTER 1 – PRELIMINARY
- Short title, extent and commencement – (1) These rules may be called the Azad Jammu and Kashmir Motor Vehicles Rules, 1973.
(2) They shall extend to the whole of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir.
(3) They shall come into force at once.
- Definitions – In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires, the following expressions shall have the meanings hereby respectively assigned to them that is to say –
- “articulated vehicle” means a motor vehicle to which a trailer is attached in such a manner that part of the trailer is superimposed on, and part of the weight of the trailer is borne by the principle vehicle;
- “Government” means the Azad Government of the State of Jammu and Kashmir;
- “Forms” means a form set forth in the first schedule to the Ordinance or appended to these rules;
- “Forwarding Agent” means any registered firm or a company with liability engaged in the business of booking goods for transit from one place to another and permitted under Chapter VII of the rules to use a place for the loading, unloading and halting of goods vehicles;
- “Motor Cab Rickshaw” means a motor cab, with three wheels, the unladen weight of which does not exceed 900 pounds avoirdupois, constructed, adapted or used to carry not more than for hire or reward, to carry not more than two passengers excluding the driver;
- “Motor Cycle Rickshaw” means a motor vehicle with three wheels, the unladen weight of which does not exceed 900 pounds avoirdupois, constructed, adapted or used for private purposes, other than for hire or reward, to carry not more than two persons excluding the driver:
- “Motor Vehicle Examiner” means an officer appointed by the Chairman Transport Authority under Rule 34;
- “Ordinance” means the Azad Jammu and Kashmir motor Vehicle Ordinance, 1971;
- “Passenger” for the purpose of the rules in Chapter IV means any person travelling in a public service vehicle other than the driver or the conductor or an employee of the permit holder while on duty;
- “pounds” means pounds avoirdupois;
- “province” means Azad Jammu & Kashmir State;
- “Section” means a section of the Ordinance;
- “urban area” means the area of the municipality, small town or cantonment, or other local area which may be especially notified by Government as an urban area.
- Payment of Fees prescribed in these rules shall be paid in advance in accordance with the instructions and manner notified by Government from time to time.